Posted 6 November 2018 by Beverley Fuller
1. Go ice skating at the Eden Project – the rink's open till 24 February and it's easily accessible from your Roseland holiday cottage. It's traditional winter fun even if you're not seeking festive activities. There's always plenty going on at the Eden Project, from special exhibitions and adventures to Saturday park runs and visits from Santa (and Rick Astley's been telling everyone he wants to perform there so, you know...), plus you get to warm up in a tropical biome if it's chilly outside. Eco-fun!
2. Take in the Titanic Stories exhibition at the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth, a poignant but fascinating insight into one of the most infamous events in maritime history – and that's saying something. While you're in the museum, though, do have a look at the lovely coracles and if you grew up reading the Narnia books you'll understand my fascination with them (clue: Reepicheep had one).
3. Tour the Falmouth lifeboat station. If you've never seen a lifeboat close up, or learnt about their history and what the amazing crews do, it's a real eye-opener. For added atmosphere, go there on the ferry from St Mawes.
4. Visit the Lost Gardens of Heligan, which are magical in winter, especially if it's snowing. They're open every day except 25 December, so you can explore on your own or join a Historical Garden Tour. Look out for special events and tuck into something scrumptious in the Heligan Kitchen (including Christmas lunches in December).
5. Slow down. Have a leisurely lunch. My family has a tradition of doing this on the last day of our holidays – it's a great time to chew over the holiday highlights, start making a menu of options for next year, and just relax. While we love good food, being comfortable and unhurried is equally important. In winter a cosy pub is perfect. For fine dining try Driftwood in Portscatho, with a Michelin star for chef Chris Eden; or take a scenic drive to north Cornwall where you'll find Michelin-starred chefs Nathan Outlaw and Paul Ainsworth, plus other famous names like Rick Stein.